Thursday, September 6, 2012

The dress

This week we got the compiled "peer reviews" from the other members of the class.  So which dress (from the first group) did my compadres in the 20-year-old range like?  Dress #8!  My least favorite.  Huh.  I must be getting old.  I think that second place went to Dress #1 with Dresses #2 & 6 tied for third place.  

But, the dress that we actually make is from the second set of sketches, and the dress that got two stars from my teacher also happened to be my favorite: Dress #3b.  This one is actually vintage inspired from a picture I found on the internet. 
asymmetric neckline -- color blocking possibility
Vintage 1950s Butterick 6866 Unusual Button Tab Shirtwaist Dress SEWING PATTERN Size 16 Bust 34 Medium

Color blocking is in, so my challenge this weekend will be to find a three different fabrics that will go together for the collar, or best yet, three shades of the same fabric.  Next week I'll start making the pattern.

Oh, hey, I can actually order the original size 16 pattern.  Let's see, converting 1950's dress sizes to today's dress sizes, I bet that's a 4.  Almost my size. ;)  But wait, the actual measurements are listed: 

Vintage size 16 Modern Medium Bust 34 Waist 28 Hips 37

Yup, almost my size.  But I'm going to put a slimmer skirt on it.  I may also need to add another embellishment or fabric manipulation to it, so be thinking about that!

No comments:

Post a Comment