Friday, October 12, 2012

Creativity

This week we had a guest speaker, Dr. Mary Rupert-Stroescu, who gave a presentation on creativity.  Apparently, you can exercise and strengthen your creativity just like any other skill.  

She talked about two different types of creativity -- leadership creativity, which forges new paths and is exhibited in haute couture, and adaptive creativity, where there are many given restrictions that have to come together.  

I'm thinking that I use adaptive creativity a lot, but am lacking in leadership creativity.  But fear not, dear reader, there is a remedy for that!

Leadership creativity requires that one see, not just look; experience, not just feel; and synthesize, not just observe.  

One suggestion was to look at things which are very big (a planetary nebula, anyone?) and small things - like a neuron - for inspiration. She showed us a picture of a fuzzy caterpillar and had us design a shoe.  



Okay, probably no one would want to wear that.  Or, scarier yet, maybe someone would.  Maybe if they didn't know it was inspired by a caterpillar ...(Just google fuzzy caterpillar and see what images you get. Ugh.)

Another suggestion was to look at common or strange things.  

A picture of an iron railing on the side of a building in Paris was to inspire a purse:



And a picture of a car wrapped in pink plastic -- it looked like a giant wad of bubble gum with windows and wheels was to inspire another purse:


 Our last exercise was to listen to music and design a dress.  She played Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture. 


Maybe.  I think I better stick with my day job, for now, 'cause the universe is just not ready for me to take over the world of fashion.  

5 comments:

  1. But I like the chair railing purse and the explosion dress! I think that's a good idea!

    (Okay, although on the dress I think you should put the long part of the skirt on the opposite side to the explosion to balance it.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe so...I'd have to do a new sketch. :)

      Delete
  2. p.s. I suggest you do not gift mom with the caterpillar boots! :)

    But I think our Bella could pull them off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Only if I wanted her to scream and throw them at me when she opened the box. Bella? "Pull them off" as in "be able to wear them" or literally, pull them off your feet? It's so late...

    ReplyDelete
  4. As in be able to wear it.

    "Late"? It wasn't even 9 o'clock yet! Even Bella stays up later than that. ;)

    ReplyDelete